Monday, May 13, 2013

First Look at Fox's Fall TV Batch

This is always a very exciting time of year for fans of television shows, but at the same time, not so great, because some people lose their favorite shows. While I'll mourn the loss of some shows, there's always more to look forward to by the time Fall rolls around, and this year is no different. All the networks seem to have some great shows to look forward to, but right now it's time to take a closer look at Fox, and what they'll be offering viewers next year for the 2013-2014 TV season. 

We've got a new J.J. Abrams produced series starring Karl Urban, a new comedy from the guys who brought us 'Parks and Rec', and starring Andy Samberg, a new twist on the Sleep Hollow legend, and more. Hit the jump for trailers for the new shows, the full Fox line up, and my thoughts on their newest shows. 

Almost Human
In a not-so-distant future, human cops and androids partner up to protect and serve.


Now, I'll tell you right now, I'm definitely a sucker for J.J. Abrams. I love a lot of the shows he's produced, and all the movies that he has directed. So of course, naturally, I've been curious to see how his newest show would turn out. I was even more excited about it when I found out that Karl Urban would be the star of the series, because he's one of my favorite actors in the business right now. So I'm definitely happy to report how great 'Almost Human' looks. The show looks to be a great new sci-fi series, which is giving me strong 'I, Robot' vibes, mixed with what made me love 'Fringe'. This definitely looks to be one of the more ambitious series to come to the networks this year, so I'm really hoping it'll start strong and keep going. I'd hate for this to be another 'Alcatraz', that starts strong, and ends on a cliffhanger, and then gets cancelled. The cast really looks like they're having fun, so I'll definitely be tuning in.

Sleep Hollow
Described as a modern–day supernatural thriller based on The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, it follows Ichabod Crane as he partners with Sleepy Hollow’s local female sheriff to solve the mysteries of a town ravaged by the battle between good and evil.

This is one that caught me a bit by surprise. I know it's from Robert Orci and Alex Kurstman, and the pilot is directed by Len Wiseman, I wasn't expecting the series to look so...well, fun. It's definitely a different take on the tale, that's for sure, but what is interesting is the very 'National Treasure' feeling underneath what feels like a new version of the TV series 'Supernatural'. This honestly looks like something that was born out of 'The Twilight Zone', and I'm really kind of digging it. The problem is, I'm not sure it can last longer than one season, or if it does, how long can it go? It's a great concept, but one that seems more fitting for a miniseries on AMC or HBO. But the one thing this has going for it, much like 'Grimm' and 'Supernatural', is a procedural element, and audiences love themselves some procedurals. CBS practically lives off them, so that bodes well for this series. All and all, the pilot does look promising, so I will definitely be tuning to check it out. 

Brooklyn Nine-Nine
From Dan Goor and Michael Schur, the Emmy Award-winning writers/producers of “Parks and Recreation,” and starring Emmy Award winners Andy Samberg and Andre Braugher, BROOKLYN NINE-NINE is a single-camera ensemble comedy about what happens when a detective who doesn’t take anything seriously gets a new “by-the-book” boss who wants him to grow up and respect the badge. BROOKLYN NINE-NINE is produced by Universal Television and 3 Arts Entertainment. The series is created and written by Dan Goor (“Late Night with Conan O’Brien,” “Parks and Recreation”) and Michael Schur (“The Office,” “Parks and Recreation”). The series is executive-produced by Goor, Schur and David Miner (“30 Rock”). The pilot was directed by the team of Phil Lord and Chris Miller (“21 Jump Street,” “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs”)

I didn't even know this show was coming, but as a fan of everyone involved, now I'm greatly looking forward to it. I'm already missing Andy Samberg since he left SNL last season, so it's great to see he'll be back on a weekly basis once more. This show looks like it's going to be much better than it deserves to be, in all honesty. It definitely shares the quirky side of 'The Office' and 'Parks and Rec', while featuring a lot of the randomness of 'Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs', which makes it that much more exciting. Plus, from a cast featuring everyone from Terry Crewes, to great character actor Andre Braugher, and a cameo from funny man Fred Armisen, this looks to be one very promising, as well as one very funny, series. I really hope it finds a solid audience, because I'd really love to see this one continue.

Us & Them
Focuses on the key life moments for Gavin and Stacey, who try to maintain their relationship while combining their polarizing families' lives.

Another one of Fox's new comedies that I knew nothing about, and then I saw the trailer and fell in love with the oddball, quirky, BBC and Steven Coogan produced TV series. Starring Jason Ritter, the son of John Ritter, who I've come to very much enjoy in his roles in 'Parenthood', as well NBC's short lived 'The Event', and the incredible adorable Alexis Bledel, I can't help but hope this show will take off. But honestly, the quirkiness aside, looks so similar to what we've seen before, I'm afraid this may not take off at all, and will be Cancel Bear food by the end of the fall. But maybe, just maybe, this show will find a vocal audience who will watch the series and keep the ratings high enough to keep it on the air. I really hope it does, because it really looks like a show that could do very well when it finds its footing.

Rake
Follows the chaotic world of criminal defense lawyer Cleaver Greene. Brilliant, iconoclastic and innately self-destructive, he has a mind-numbing lack of discretion and a total inability to pause before speaking his mind. From bigamists to cannibals and everything in between, the clients Cleaver loves most are those whose cases appear to be utterly hopeless without him realizing that he, himself, is perhaps the most desperate case of all.

This is one I really want to love, and I probably will, but honestly, I'm not sure it'll last longer than the season. Greg Kinnear looks to be on top of his game, and with a pilot directed by Sam Raimi, who directed the original 'Spider-Man' trilogy and this year's 'Oz the Great and Powerful', people will almost certainly be tuning in. The problem is, I'm not sure after the pilot episode, exactly how the show will maintain its viewers. It looks promising, but the deadbeat lawyer can only be played so many ways before it gets stale, but then again, I could have said the same thing about 'House' years ago. This definitely looks like it has potential, but it seems more of a cable series than a network series, and I'm just not sure it'll survive the season. Watch with caution, it may be gone before you know it.

Dads
Two successful guys in their 30's have their lives turned upside down when their nightmare dads unexpectedly move in with them.

Ah, Seth MacFarlane, we meet again. Apparently I'm one of ten people in the world who isn't completely infatuated with his work. While I've enjoyed some episodes of 'American Dad', and 'Ted' was much more amusing than I was expecting, MacFarlane's comedy just doesn't work for me. So to see that he has a new show on Fox, where he's made his home on television over the last few years, isn't very surprising. I love the case, which has Seth Green, Giovanni Ribsi, Peter Riegert (Who can forget him from 'The Mask'?), and Martin Mull, as two very different dysfunctional father and son pairs, but honestly, I didn't laugh much at the trailer. The typical MacFarlane humor seems in place, and fans of his work are sure to jump at it, but honestly, it's just not doing much for me. I'll probably tune in for the pilot, but after that, I probably won't stick around. I have a feeling this one will actually do pretty well for itself overall, so fans can probably rest easy of an early cancellation imminent in the show's future.

Enlisted
Centers on Sgt. Pete Waits who, after a stint in Afghanistan, is stationed at a small military base in Florida to tackle the toughest job of them all leading his dysfunctional brothers' squad.

Finally, we reach the last comedy for Fox's fall comedy schedule, 'Enlisted'. Honestly, this looks sort of like a TV version of 'Stripes', and while I like some of the cast, I just don't know it'll make it past the fall. The trailer had some funny parts, but military comedies don't always seem to work, so this show already has an uphill battle. This could be a fantastic show, but right now, it merely looks like an amusing way to spend half an hour, but one that will quickly be forgotten. 

I have to say, most of Fox's fall line up seems pretty solid, and I like what I see. The other half could go either way, but that doesn't mean they aren't trying to up their game. There definitely seems to be a lot to look forward to, which is great. 'Almost Human' definitely tops that list for me, so I really look forward to seeing how it turns out. This isn't Fox's strongest fall line up, but it's not their weakest either. I definitely look forward to seeing how it plays out. Check out their full schedule below, and let me know which new Fox show are you looking forward to the most, I'd love to hear from you! 



FOX FALL 2013-2014 SCHEDULE
(New programs in UPPER CASE; all times ET/PT)
MONDAY
8-9 PM Bones (fall) / ALMOST HUMAN (late fall)
9-10 PM SLEEPY HOLLOW (fall) / The Following (midseason)
TUESDAY
8-8:30 PM DADS
8:30-9 PM BROOKLYN NINE-NINE
9-9:30 PM New Girl
9:30-10 PM The Mindy Project
WEDNESDAY
8-10 PM The X Factor (fall) / American Idol (midseason)
THURSDAY
8-9 PM The X Factor Results (fall) / American Idol Results (midseason)
9-10 PM Glee (fall) / RAKE (midseason)
FRIDAY
8-9 PM JUNIOR MASTERCHEF (wt) (fall)
9-10 PM SLEEPY HOLLOW encores (fall)
Late Fall:
8-9 PM Bones
9-9:30 PM Raising Hope (late fall)
9:30-10 PM ENLISTED (new; late fall)
SATURDAY
7-10:30 PM Fox Sports Saturday
11 PM-12:30 AM ANIMATION DOMINATION HIGH-DEF
SUNDAY
7-7:30 PM NFL Game (fall)
7:30-8 PM The OT (fall)
8-8:30 PM The Simpsons
8:30-9:00 PM Bob’s Burgers
9:00-9:30 PM Family Guy
9:30-10 PM American Dad
Schedule TBAs: GANG RELATED, SURVIVING JACK, US & THEM, MURDER POLICE

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment